Sunday, June 26, 2011

1 down, 5 to go.


Great White Behemoth 5.12b

I finally got to return to Ten Sleep! After a Summer and Winter of missing, I came back. And with a vengeance.
Dan Baker (my usual partner), Aimee Stafford, and I left Casper at about 10:00 or so. I got to ride in Baker's new Lincoln Navigator. Its RAD! We showed up in Ten sleep at about midnight. We drove up the old highway where all the climbers camp, trying to find a camp spot. Emphasis on trying. There were soo many people there! Its kind of nice to see a lot of people there to climb in Ten Sleep. We found a weird little turnout and setup there. We made food, a fire, and a lot of fun conversation. I got tired so I went to bed. Nothing new. But I slept really well that night. Didn't wake up once! We woke up at about 8 or 9 and drove into town so give some stuff to Alli. But when we got to her house, she was already gone. So we gassed up and drove back into the canyon.
Due to the Big Horn's record snow pack, there was a lot of run off, so the creek was insane! The log crossing shortcut to the Superattic (where we were going to climb) was under raging rapids. Or gone, I don't really know. So we had to take the long hike from the Slavery wall parking lot. On our hike up, we saw a moose! A MOOSE! We came up on him eating, and he just looked at us like "Whatever." and kept eating. When we got to the crag, Alli and Kevin were there! Kevin gave me the best man hug, and I got to show him a picture I have of him out of a climbing magazine. I think he enjoyed that. We warmed up on a couple times and got Aimee on the wall. She did really well! I warmed up one more time, then we headed over to The Great White Behemoth, which had perfect conditions! Plus it had draws on it already. As we were getting ready, Cedar Wright, Matt Segal, and some crusher kid named Stefan came up. So I get on, not remembering any of the beta, holds, or anything like that. I wish I could go into minute detail of the climb, but I phased out and just climbed.
On my first go of the day, I sent T.G.W.B.
I was really excited! I only got really pumped at the top, as apposed to the usual in the middle pump out of the climb. And about halfway through, I started to talk to Cedar as I climbed. It was kinda silly. But I was really relaxed and in the zone! After I got down, I asked Baker if he wanted on. In a very reluctant voice, he replied "Yeah?" So he tied in and got on. He got 5 bolts up to a good rest jug, but didn't rest. He shook out once and kept going. I got a couple moves up and had to take. He stretched himself out on a move, and was having trouble with the sequence. But after a little thinking, he made it to the top. He came down, rested for a bit and tried again. But I think he got too tired. We hiked down to the Slavery and did a couple 5.7's for Aimee. There, I met Christine Balaz, who has been recently crushing a majority of my projects. After we were done, Alli and Kev came by to meet up with Christine. Baker, Aimee and I went into town and had a couple brews and a pizza. I had two 1554's. I really like 1554. The pizza was really good too. Afterwards, we went to Alli's and hung out for a bit, then went and played in the gym. Alli, Kev, Christine, a guy named Billy, Baker, Aimee and I were all having a super fun time. Campusing, laughing, and falling a lot. It was a super way to end the day! But sadly, we had to leave because AIMEE HAD TO WORK!! So we left. On our way back, we saw a little porcupine! Aimee named him Pickle. Awesome! haha
The end.

1 comment: