Monday, September 6, 2010

Another great weekend in...... RMNP!


Gang Bang V8
Yes! Another weekend in Rocky Mountain National Park! Great weekend at that. My partner (Dan) and I woke up early and departed for RMNP Saturday morning. It was a pretty good drive most of the way, until we got in Estes park. All the tourists vacationing for Labor Day weekend, gaping at all the elk (one or two) and holding up traffic while doing it. Has nobody ever seen an elk? I guess its just part of living in Wyoming I suppose. Since it was Labor Day weekend, a lot of the campsites were full. Except one... Timber Creek, a 40 mile drive from Estes!!!!..... So we get our camp spot, and its actually pretty nice. The campsite wasn't full up, and there were actually A LOT of spaces left. I start putting my tent up, and Dan asks "You're putting your tent up?" I reply "Yeah, aren't you??" He was scared someone would take his tent! But we both get our tents set up, and we head out to go climbing. We arrive at the parking lot at 3, and got a pretty good spot, which was nice. The hike was actually really short this time, time wise. Dan and I warm up at the same boulder, and there was a couple Boulder that were there too, but they weren't being to friendly. We said hi, but they didn't really talk to us. I do a couple laps on a problem and try to do another one, but the guy in the couple wouldn't move from the start, and I didn't really want to ask him to move, so I did another run on the warmup. Afterwards, we headed to Tommy's Aerate, so Dan could send. There were two other guys there that were working on it, and they were super friendly. When Dan got on, he turned on the burner. First try, and he finished the whole thing. No warmup go's on it, just got on and sent. It was awesome!
Dan on the send

Dan, the two other guys, and I decide to go check out Deep Puddle Dynamics, a V9. We get there, and it looked super hard. You start on this under cling, and move up to this sloper thing, match, move your feet around, lurp up to a bad slopey pinch thing. Once I hit that, I would have to deadpoint to another sloper thing, toe hook so I could move off of the slopey pinch thing, and match the sloper. A couple of the moves after that were easy, giant sloped jugs, and then a crazy overhang with a crimp rail and a bird beak like pocket thing. Thats where it got scary. Plus the two other guys left, so we only had two pads and I was sketched. So we decided to move on to Gang Bang. I gave it a few tries, then got my groove and it was on.


ME ON THE SEND!!!


Thats right, I sent Gang Bang. I was soo stoked about it too! Dan gave it a couple tries, but wasn't feeling it, so we hiked out. In the dark again too, but this time we were prepared. We brought headlamps. I'm gonna fast forward here... Hike down, car, drive, camp, food, sleep. So while we're going to sleep, there were elk in the area bugling, all night. What an incredible experience! Too bad it was ruined by a couple having sex.... Yeah, we can hear you two! The guy sounded like he was having some troubles. And he was grunting and moaning more than the girl! So hilarious. But the bugling elk made it better. So the next day, we go back up. But parking was full, so we had to park at some pullout, hike to a trailhead where the free shuttle stopped. Fast forward; parking lot, hike, warmup, douche bags from boulder (different douche bags), gang bang. Since I had done it the day before, I was just chilling. But another couple came up, and acted like they were waiting for us to leave, like they can't climb when there are other people around. So I tell Dan "We should just stay here" and he like the idea. So the waited like, 20 minutes... AND LEFT! What dickards. Dan came real close to sending Gang Bang a couple times. A little after the gay couple left, two guys came up. Drew and Alex. These guys were super chill. Really friendly and super stoked. They gave a couple tries on Gang Bang with Dan, then we started trying this crazy hard 6. But I gave up, so we left. Fast forward; hike down, wait for bus, parking lot, hike, car, Eds Cantina, douche couple that can't climb around other people, drive home.

1 comment: